South Charleston Public Library Service Reminders
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – AUGUST 31, 2020
As a new school year begins, the South Charleston Public Library (SCPL) Board and management team remind the community about continuing limitations to library services due to current COVID-19 health and safety recommendations.
The following guidelines remain in effect until otherwise posted:
- Service hours are 11 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday.
- Online library resources remain available 24/7 (scplwv.org/resources).
- Holds may be placed on physical library items via online catalog (opac.scplwv.org) or by phone (304-744-6561).
- Drive Up service continues as the preferred method for holds pick up.
- Return all library items to external drops at the front (walk up) or back (drive up) of the building.
- The library building is open to members of the public with specific service and resource needs.*
- All who enter the building are required to wear face covering over nose and mouth.*
- Only 25 patrons are allowed in the building at one time.*
- If possible, patrons are asked to visit the library alone to minimize potential exposures.
- Patrons and staff must maintain social distancing guidelines of 6 feet.
- Library furniture and equipment is rearranged and/or removed to meet current health and safety recommendations. Youth Services seating and activity areas are closed.
- Public computer access is restricted, with a one hour limit. Each user is responsible for cleaning the keyboard, mouse, and area around the computer prior to use and accepts risk associated with working in a high-touch area.
- Passport services are unavailable per US Department of State passport issuance status.
- In-library programming and meetings are not scheduled. Public water fountains are closed.
*Staff will refuse entry or ask individuals to leave the building for non-compliance.
Youth Services programs will continue to be delivered virtually through Zoom, Facebook, and/or YouTube. Our website (scplwv.org) and social media (@scplwv) will have information about virtual events and online resources.
Important school-specific reminders include:
New materials to assist homeschool/virtual teachers and learners are available. Contact Youth Services and/or visit our catalog and social media for more information.
The library’s wireless internet remains accessible from outside the library building 24/7, no password needed.
Tutoring and study spaces remain unavailable due to occupancy and social distancing guidelines.
We continue to encourage short, purpose-focused visits to the library. Students with research needs may call or come in for one-on-one assistance finding information.
If students normally come to the library after school each day, parents must make alternate arrangements due to occupancy and social distancing guidelines.
As a library team, we realize these restrictions are far from ideal for all involved. Thanks in advance for understanding the challenging decisions being made to ensure library services for our community continue in a safe manner.
This information is subject to change and not intended to serve as a comprehensive document. All actions planned and
implemented will be done in accordance with then-current local, state, and national health and safety guidelines and
recommendations to ensure the well-being of library patrons and staff.
Questions may be directed to SCPL, 312 Fourth Avenue, South Charleston, WV, 25303; email@example.com; or