South Charleston will be conducting a city-wide cleanup of it’s property. During this time the Public Works Department will be concentrating on areas of need, such as cleaning out storm drains, debris removal and high grass on city property. However, citizens are encouraged to call the hotline, (304) 744-5532, to request attention to a certain area or issue, or if they have any questions. Cleanup will be running until the end of the summer.
|Please help us keep our great city of South Charleston a cleaner and greener place to live.|
|City of South Charleston recycles the following materials:|
|Hard Cover Book School and Office Paper||Magazines|
|Catalogs||Envelopes, File Folders|
|Phone Books||Plastic Bottles and Jugs (#1-#7)|
|Plastic Bags||Steel (Food) Cans|
|Aluminum Cans||Glass Bottles and Jugs|
|Old Appliances (Washers, Dryers, Hot Water Tanks)|
|Any Type of Metal Scrap (EXCEPT Propane & Gas Tanks)|
Facts about Recycling
1) Every 4 ft stack of newspaper you can recycle saves a 17 ft Pine tree.
2) One (1) ton of newspaper (40 ft stack) makes enough insulation to save 45 barrels of crude oil per year.
3) The City of South Charleston recycled about 250 tons of recycleable material last year.
If you have any questions regarding the recycle program in South Charleston please call the Public Works Department at (304) 744-5532. We will be glad to assist you in any way possible.
10 Things You Can Do to Prevent Stormwater Runoff Pollution
1) Use fertilizers sparingly.
2) Never dump anything down storm drains.
3) Vegetate bare spots in your yard.
4) Compst your yard waste.
5) Avoid pesticides; learn about Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
6) Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces.
7) Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway.
8) Check car for leaks,and recycle motor oil.
9) Pick up after your pet.
10) Sweep up driveways, sidewalks and roads.
If you have any questions regarding the prevention of storm water runoff pollution, please contact the Public Works Department at (304) 744-5532. We will be glad to assist you in any ways possible.